an event or program that increases overnight stays in Seabrook, you may be eligible to receive a city sponsorship. Please review all details below prior to completing the application.
Applications for funding a special event and or program for the 2018-2019 Fiscal Year are due on April 15, 2018. A group who wishes to seek funding for a FIRST TIMEevent after the deadline must do so 90 days prior to said event or program. This only applies to first time events or programs. All others must meet deadline requirements for the 2018-2019 Fiscal Year.
Prior to completing the online application please review the state guidelines for event funding below.
Is my event eligible to receive funds from the City of Seabrook?
In order to receive funds from the City of Seabrook you must meet the requirements outlined by State Law concerning Hotel Occupancy Tax. An explanation of these requirements can be found below.
Explanation of Hotel Occupancy Tax
By the law of the State of Texas, the City of Seabrook collects a Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) from all lodging facilities located within the city limits. According to the law, revenue from the municipal hotel occupancy tax may be used only to promote tourism and the convention and hotel industry, and that use is limited to the following:
- Convention Centers and Visitor Centers: the acquisition of sites for and the construction, improvement, enlarging, equipping, repairing, operation and maintenance of convention center facilities or visitor information center or both.
- Registration of Convention Delegates: the furnishing of facilities, personnel and materials for the registration of convention delegates or registrants.
- Advertising, Solicitation and Promotions: advertising and conducting solicitations and promotional programs to attract tourists and convention delegates or registrants to the municipality or its vicinity.
- Promotion of the Arts: the encouragement, promotion, improvement and application of the arts; including instrumental and vocal music, dance, drama, folk art, creative writing, architecture, design and allied fields, painting, sculpture, photography, graphic and craft arts, motion pictures, radio, television, tape and sound recording, and other arts related to the presentation, performance, execution, and exhibition of these major art forms.
- Historical Restoration and Preservation: historical restoration and preservation projects or activities or advertising and conducting solicitation and promotional programs to encourage tourists and convention delegates to visit preserved historic sites, museums or exhibits.
- Sporting Event Expense: funding certain expenses, including promotional expenses, directly related to a sporting event within counties with a population under 1 million.
- Sporting Facilities: enhancement or upgrading of existing sports facilities or sport fields for certain municipalities.
- Transportation of Tourists: funding transportation systems for transporting tourists from hotels to and near the city to any of the following destinations:
- the commercial center of the city
- a convention center in the city
- other hotels in or near the city
- tourist attractions in or near the city
- Directional Signage: signage directing the public to sights and attractions that are frequently visited within the municipality.
- Signage: Signage directing tourists to sights and attractions that are visited frequently by hotel guests in the municipality.
Eligibility and Priority for HOT Funds
Priority will be given to those entities and/or special events based on their ability to directly promote tourism and the hotel industry in Seabrook; in other words, the ability to generate overnight visitors to the city. If an event will not generate hotel activity, it is not eligible for receipt of HOT funds. Entities must complete this application and provide documentation proving the ability to generate overnight visitors.
All receipts of HOT funds will be required to submit a post-event form, report and analysis within sixty (60) days after an event or program cycle, which documents the expenditure of the HOT funds and verifies the direct promotion of Seabrook tourism and the hotel industry. Recipients who do not submit post-event information may not be eligible for future funding.
Application Overview and Process
The City of Seabrook accepts applications from non-profits, groups and businesses whose programs or events fit into one or more of the listed categories. All applicants applying for funding must submit an official application by April 15, 2018 to be considered for funds for the 2018-2019 Fiscal Year (October 2018 – September 2019).
Applications will be reviewed by a committee composed of city staff who give an extensive review of the event’s application to City Council during a regular or special meeting held in March. Applicants will be notified prior to the meeting and are encouraged to attend and give feedback to Council.
City Council will make a decision on the applicant’s request and supplemental documentation provided. If denied funding, applicants may appeal the decision, in writing within sixty (60) days of Council’s decision. Council may revoke or change the amount allocated at anytime until the FY2018/2019 Budget is adopted. The Budget process usually takes place between June and August each year.
Supplemental information and documentation are required in addition to the application form. Please review and complete entire application packet prior to application submittal.
Timeline for 2018-2019 Fiscal Year
- Application Deadline – Sunday, April 15, 2018
- City Staff Review – April 16 - May 16, 2018
- City Council Decision – Tuesday, June, 5 2018
- Notification of Council decision by the City of Seabrook - by June 6, 2017
- Decision Appeals must be submitted in writing within sixty (60) days of June 6, 2018
- Disbursement of Funds – Begins after October 1, 2018. Prior to receiving the funds the city must receive an invoice from the approved organization.
- Post Event Presentations is due sixty to 90 (60 to 90) days after event.
A group who wishes to seek funding for a FIRST TIME event after the deadline must do so 90 days prior to said event or program. This only applies to first time events or programs. All others must meet deadline requirements for the 2018-2019 Fiscal Year.
If you have any questions about the application process, please email or call the city’s Director of Communication, LeaAnn Dearman, at (281) 291.5777.
NASA Parkway Banners
If your event is sponsored by the City of Seabrook, you may be eligible to hang a banner advertising your event over NASA Parkway. If you would like more information about this process please contact our office by emailing our office.