Residential Construction

Before you begin residential construction within Seabrook city limits you must contact the City of Seabrook Building Department. Permits are required and certain guidelines and codes must be followed.


What type of projects need permits?

Most construction requires a Building Permit,  Other than cosmetic changes and non-structural repairs like painting, tile, carpet, cabinets, and replacement of fixtures (Direct disconnect and reconnect), permits are required. If in doubt, please contact the building department before starting any project. See the list of typical projects requiring a permit:

  • Fill, Grading, and Clearing of Land
  • Storage Buildings, Storage Enclosures, and Louver Walls
  • Swimming Pools, including Hot Tubs and Spas over 24" deep or more
  • Driveway, sidewalls, or patio replacement and expansions (Paving)
  • Bulkheads, Piers, Docks, Boat Houses and Riprap (New and Repairs)
  • New Roofs or Roof Repairs
  • Window and door installation and replacement
  • Siding, Stucco and Brick repair and replacement.
  • Patio Covers, Porches, or Sun Rooms
  • Photo Voltaic Solar Array and Backup Generators.
  • Foundation Repairs and Re-Adjustments
  • House or Building Moving
  • Building Demolition
  • Gas Reconnections (modification or repairs)
  • Electrical Reconnections (modification or repair)
  • Air Conditioning Unit and Water Heater Replacements
  • Permanent and Temporary Signs and Banners
  • Trade Work - Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, Fire, Irrigation Modification or Additions
  • Tree Removal (when applicable per city ordinance)
  • Others

Please Note: Work requiring permits cannot start until the permit is issued by the Building Department. Permit applications must be reviewed and approved by department staff and all fees are calculated at that time. We accept MasterCard and Visa payments for building permits and registrations (In person only, we are unable to process online of phone payments).

Can I do the work myself as the homeowner?

Most types of construction and some repair work can be completed by the homeowner with a Homestead Exemption on their property, except new, addition and alteration work on Plumbing, Electrical, Heating & Cooling systems.  Please contact the building department with any questions.

Contractors performing work in the City of Seabrook are required to register with the Building Department.

See the Permits page for the application and requirements.

How do I obtain a Building Permit?

The Homeowner, General Contractor or Licensed Trade Contractor are required to fill out a Permit Application Form available at the Seabrook Public Works Complex or on line at our Permits Page .

Required Documents For NEW Residential Construction

The owner, architect, or general contractor will have to submit to the Building Department  a filled out Building Permit Application along with the following documents for plan review and approval (please provide information in a digital format):

  • Plot Plan and Site Survey - Provide a proposed plot plan showing the location of the structure on the site, include dimensions to adjacent property lines, the location of mechanical equipment, show location of proposed paving and all setbacks and utility easements. Include arrows showing the direction of proposed site drainage. Also, include a legal description. the survey must have been completed by a professional surveyor and have their stamp or seal. 
  • Elevation Certificate - Filled out and sealed Elevation Certificate (FEMA Form), Based on construction drawings, is required for all new residential construction.
  • Energy Code Certification - A third party prepared and signed Recheck or equivalent construction energy analysis document along with construction inspection checklist must be provided for review. 
  • Electrical Load Analysis  - An Electric Load Analysis and Service One Line Diagram is required with the submittal of all new residences. 
  • Architectural Plans -  A complete sets of floor plans/blueprints with calculations, including, but not limited to, elevations, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and structural. The plans must show and dimension all building lines & easements at suitable scale: 1/4" = 1’ unless otherwise noted, including square footage of habitable and non-habitable space. 
  • Foundation Plan(s) - ALL copies must have a Texas registered Structural Engineer’s seal and signature and documentation must include the engineers Firm Number. Digital Seals or scans of wet seals are acceptable.
  • Framing Plans - must include structural ceilings, floors, roofs, and walls. All new home construction must be signed and sealed by a registered Texas Structural Engineer and must include the engineers Firm Number. Digital Seals or scans of wet seals are acceptable.
  • Windstorm Requirements - All structures must meet the City’s adopted design wind design requirement of 150-mph (Ultimate) wind speed. All plans, details, and calculations must be signed and sealed by a registered Texas Structural Engineer, and the engineer must be in the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) list of registered engineers to work in high wind zones. Digital Seals or scans of wet seals are acceptable.
  • V-Zone Certificate - all construction in a FEMA Designated Coastal Hi Hazard Flood Zone (VE and V Zones) must submit the first half of the city’s V-Zone Certificate certifying the foundation design and design of any breakaway enclosure below design flood elevation. The second half of the document is to be submitted prior to scheduling of a final inspection. This form is to be filled out by a Qualified Texas PE. 
  • Breakaway Wall Certificate - Addition of enclosures below the design flood elevation in a FEMA Designated Coastal Hi Hazard Flood Zone (VE and V Zones) must submit the city’s  Breakaway Wall Certificate prior to finial Inspection. This form certifying design and construction of breakaway walls and enclosure below design flood elevation, is to be filled out by a Qualified Texas PE. 

Also See:  New Home Construction Handout