- Municipal Court
- Driving Safety Course
Driving Safety Course
If you are charged with a moving violation, you may request a driving safety course in person or in writing to dismiss the charge.
- The request can be made in person on or before the court date listed on your citation.
- The request can be made via email no later than 2 business days before your court date listed on your citation.
- If you were operating a motorcycle, you must take a motorcycle operator course.
- If you were the driver charged with not wearing a safety belt or transporting a child not in a safety belt or child passenger safety seat system you must take a driving safety course that includes four hours of seat belts and child passenger safety seat systems instruction.
You are eligible if you:
- Have not taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operator course for a traffic offense within the 12 months preceding the current offense.
- Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation.
- Do not have a commercial driver’s license.
- Have not committed one of the following offenses: 1. Failure to Give Information at Accident Scene 2. Leaving the Scene of Accident 3. Passing a School Bus 4. A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators 5. An offense in a construction maintenance zone when workers are present @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
If you received a citation for speeding 25 mph over the posted speed limit, speeding 95 mph or were involved in an accident, you are required to appear in court to submit your request for a driving safety course.
In order to take a driving safety course, you must do the following:
- Qualify under set eligibility.
- Submit a copy of your valid Texas Driver’s License
- Submit a copy of your auto insurance policy (defendant must be a listed driver)
- Plea guilty or nolo contendere(no contest)
- Pay court cost @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Requesting Driving Safety Course
You may request a driving safety course in person, or by email email@example.com with the following items
- Let us know what plea you would like to enter, No Contest or Guilty, choose (ONE) only
- A copy of your valid insurance ID card showing your name on the policy and current
- A copy of your valid Texas Driver’s License
- Let us know if you can pay the court cost today, or need time
- Once the court receives your request via email and you have submitted all required information, we will email you the documents to sign via Drop Box that must be completed by 4 pm on your request date in order to set you up. If not, your case will remain in its current status and you will then be required to appear in person to process this request. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
If you are requesting to take a driving safety course via email, you will need to do so NO LATER than 2 business days prior to your court date.
- Do I qualify for Driving Safety Course if I have a Provisional Driver's License? - Yes, you may qualify to take a Driving Safety Course as long as you meet the other qualifications.
- Am I able to take a Driving Safety Course if I do not have insurance? - No, you must be a listed and covered driver on an insurance policy. You will need to to turn in a copy of your insurance card.
- I have a commercial driver's license, can I take a driving safety course? - No, you are not eligible to take a driving safety course if you are a commercial driver’s license holder.
- I have an out of state driver's license, am I eligible to take a driver's safety course? - No, you must have a valid Texas Driver’s License. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>