The mission of the finance department is to:
- Develop, implement and maintain financial accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that all transactions be recorded in compliance with generally accepted accounting principle
- Foster the public trust
- Protect and optimize the city's assets through sound investment practices
The finance department is responsible for supporting the administrative activities of the city in an efficient and effective manner. These activities include accounting, utility billing, borrowing, budgeting, collections, debt management and investment management.
The City of Seabrook has earned a PLATINUM Leadership Circle Award from the Comptroller of Public Accounts by scoring 22 of 23 possible points on the rating’s criteria. This award designation signifies Seabrook's sixth year of participation in this program. The Comptroller of Public Accounts launched the Texas Comptroller Leadership circle program in December 2009 to recognize local governments across Texas that are striving to meet a high standard for financial transparency online; spotlighting local governments that are:
- opening their books to the public
- providing a clear and consistent picture of spending
- sharing information in a user-friendly format, allowing citizens to comprehend city spending
The City of Seabrook Finance Department has also received a Certificate for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government of Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR). The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in the area of government accounting and financial reporting, and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
In addition to being an award winning department the City's Finance Director, Michael Gibbs, recently became a Certified Government Finance Officer. The certification includes having to pass four tests in the areas of Financial Administration, Budgeting & Capital Planning, Debt Management, and Accounting & Financial Reporting.