Events or programs which have a direct impact on overnight stays in Seabrook may be eligible to receive a city sponsorship. Please review ALL details below prior to completing the application.
Applications for funding a special event and/or program for the 2021-2022 Fiscal Year are due by Wednesday, August 4, 2021. A group who wishes to seek funding for a FIRST TIME event after the deadline must do so 90 days prior to said event or program. This only applies to first time events or programs. All others must meet deadline requirements for the 2021-2022 Fiscal Year.
Prior to completing the online application please confirm that your event/program meets one or more of the state guidelines.
Explanation of Hotel Occupancy Tax
By the law of the State of Texas, the City of Seabrook collects a Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) from all lodging facilities located within the city limits. According to the law, revenue from the municipal hotel occupancy tax may be used only to promote tourism and the convention and hotel industry, and that use is limited to the following:
- Convention Centers and Visitor Centers: the acquisition of sites for and the construction, improvement, enlarging, equipping, repairing, operation and maintenance of convention center facilities or visitor information center or both.
- Registration of Convention Delegates: the furnishing of facilities, personnel and materials for the registration of convention delegates or registrants.
- Advertising, Solicitation and Promotions: advertising and conducting solicitations and promotional programs to attract tourists and convention delegates or registrants to the municipality or its vicinity.
- Promotion of the Arts: the encouragement, promotion, improvement and application of the arts; including instrumental and vocal music, dance, drama, folk art, creative writing, architecture, design and allied fields, painting, sculpture, photography, graphic and craft arts, motion pictures, radio, television, tape and sound recording, and other arts related to the presentation, performance, execution, and exhibition of these major art forms.
- Historical Restoration and Preservation: historical restoration and preservation projects or activities or advertising and conducting solicitation and promotional programs to encourage tourists and convention delegates to visit preserved historic sites, museums or exhibits.
- Sporting Event Expense: funding certain expenses, including promotional expenses, directly related to a sporting event within counties with a population under 1 million.
- Sporting Facilities: enhancement or upgrading of existing sports facilities or sport fields for certain municipalities.
- Transportation of Tourists: funding transportation systems for transporting tourists from hotels to and near the city to any of the following destinations:
- the commercial center of the city
- a convention center in the city
- other hotels in or near the city
- tourist attractions in or near the city
- Directional Signage: signage directing the public to sights and attractions that are frequently visited within the municipality.
- Signage: Signage directing tourists to sights and attractions that are visited frequently by hotel guests in the municipality.
Eligibility and Priority for HOT Funds
Priority will be given to those entities and/or special events based on their ability to directly promote tourism and the hotel industry in Seabrook; in other words, the ability to generate overnight visitors to the city. If an event will not generate hotel activity, it is not eligible for receipt of HOT funds. Entities must complete this application and provide documentation proving the ability to generate overnight visitors.
All receipts of HOT funds will be required to submit a post-event report, and analysis within sixty (60) days after an event or program cycle, which documents the expenditure of the HOT funds and verifies the direct promotion of Seabrook tourism and the hotel industry. Recipients who do not submit post-event information may not be eligible for future funding.
Application Overview and Process
The City of Seabrook accepts applications from non-profits, groups and businesses whose programs or events fit into one or more of the listed categories. All applicants applying for funding must submit an official application by August 4, 2021 to be considered for funds for the 2021-2022 Fiscal Year (October 1, 2021 – September 30, 2022).
Applications will be reviewed by a committee composed of city staff who give an extensive review of the event’s application to City Council during a regular or special meeting held in March. Applicants will be notified prior to the meeting and are encouraged to attend and give feedback to Council.
City Council will make a decision on the applicant’s request and supplemental documentation provided. If denied funding, applicants may appeal the decision, in writing within sixty (60) days of Council’s decision. Council may revoke or change the amount allocated at anytime until the FY2021/2022 Budget is adopted.
Supplemental information and documentation are required in addition to the application form. Please review and complete entire application packet prior to application submittal.
Timeline for 2021-2022 Fiscal Year
- Application Deadline – Wednesday, August 4, 2021
- City Council Review and Decision – Tuesday, August 17, 2021
- Notification of Council’s Decision – Wednesday, August 18, 2021
- Decision Appeals must be submitted in writing within sixty (60) days after Council’s decision (October 6, 2021)
- Disbursement of Funds
- 75% of approved funds will be made AFTER October 1, 2021.
- The final 25% of funds will be made available after submission of the Post Event Report as in accordance with the current HOT Sponsorship Funding Procedures.
- Prior to distributing the funds, the City of Seabrook must receive an invoice from the approved organization.
- The Post Event Report must be submitted within sixty (60) days after your event/program.
- All events/programs that receive a HOT Sponsorship must complete a Special Event Permit Application at least 45 days prior to your event/program. Waivers may be given for events that do not occur within Seabrook.
A group who wishes to seek funding for a FIRST TIME event after the deadline must do so 90 days prior to said event or program. This only applies to first time events or programs. All others must meet deadline requirements for the 2021-2022 Fiscal Year.
If you have any questions about the application process, please email or call the city’s Director of Communication, LeaAnn Dearman Petersen, at (281) 291.5777.
NASA Parkway Banners
If your event is sponsored by the City of Seabrook, you may be eligible to hang a banner advertising your event over NASA Parkway. If you would like more information about this process please contact our office by emailing our office.